Licensed Driver Education Program
Safe Drivers PEI is a government certified driving school that offers Driver Education programs across PEI.
The Licensed Driver Education Program (LDEP) includes:
- “Rules of the Road” written exam (if required)
- 25 Hours of in-classroom theory instruction OR a 25-hour online self-study course
- 6 Hours of in-car observation with other students
- 10 hours of in-car training with a certified driving instructor
- Class 5 driving Exam (1 attempt, fee applies for additional testing)
- LDEP Certificate of Completion
Throughout the program students will learn:
- The Rules of The Road including:
- Proper use and recognition of traffic control devices
- Introduction to Federal, Provincial, and Federal driving regulations.
- Interpretation of traffic situations, rules, and laws (formal and informal)
- Driving Techniques including:
- The use of basic vehicle controls
- Space Management
- Lane changing and merging
- Parking techniques
- Emergency situation and accident avoidance skills
- As well as other important subjects such as:
- Driver Behaviours and Responsibilities
- Dangerous, Distracted, and Impaired Driving
- The Laws of Physics
- Vehicle Components
Who is this program for?
The Licensed Driver Education Program (LDEP) was created for newcomers to PEI who have a driving license and driving experience in a country that does not have license reciprocity with PEI. For more information on license reciprocity click here.
To qualify for certification under this program, students must be at least 19 years old with at least 2 years of driving experience in another country. Students must be able to demonstrate in-car skills that prove they possess driving experience. For more information on LDEP requirements please click here. Newcomers to PEI who do not have significant driving experience should complete our New Driver Education Program.
How long does this process take?
Students should finish the license exchange process on PEI no later than four months after becoming a resident of PEI. However, students can finish LDEP in as little as 15-30 days. Completion timeline will vary based on student availability.
Why take the Licensed Driver Education Program?
Completing this program allows experienced drivers from non-reciprocity countries to receive an unrestricted class 5 license in PEI. Students who complete this program will not be restricted by the GDL system.
Drivers from non-reciprocity countries who do not complete LDEP must attend the Novice Driver for Newcomers Course, and pass both a written and driving exam at Access PEI. Following completion of those steps, the driver will receive a class 5 GDL stage 2 license. Drivers with a GDL stage 2 license are unable to obtain a commercial driving license (class 1, 3, etc…) for a period of two years.
How much does the Licensed Drivers Education program cost?
The Safe Drivers PEI Licensed Driver Education Program costs $699+hst
A $300 payment is due when registering for a class session with the remaining balance due as students complete the program.
Safe Drivers PEI provides professional classroom instruction at various locations across Prince Edward Island. We use a combination of interactive lecture and group discussions to keep our class experience the best in the business! We also offer a comprehensive online learning option which can be completed on your own schedule!
Safe Drivers PEI instructors are trained above the industry standard to ensure we provide the best service to our students! Our instructors complete many hours of theory, and in-car training before they are certified as driving instructors and driving examiners with Safe Drivers PEI and the PEI Department of Highway Safety.