New Driver Education Program
Safe Drivers PEI is a government certified driving school that offers Driver Education programs across PEI.
Our Driver Education Program packages include:
- “Rules of the Road” (Class 7) written exam
- 25 Hours of In-classroom theory instruction
- 6 Hours of In-Car Observation
- In-Car driving exam for the class 5 license (1 attempt, fee applies for additional testing)
- 10, 14, or 19 hours of in-Car training with a certified driving instructor.
PEI Driver Education Program:
10 hours of in-car training with a certified driving instructor.
PEI Driver Education Program PLUS:
14 hours of in-car training with a certified driving instructor.
PEI Driver Education Program PREMIUM:
19 hours of in-car training with a certified driving instructor.
Throughout the program students will learn:
- The Rules of The Road including:
- Proper use and recognition of traffic control devices
- Introduction to Federal, Provincial, and Federal driving regulations.
- Interpretation of traffic situations, rules, and laws (formal and informal)
- Driving Techniques including:
- The use of basic vehicle controls
- Space Management
- Lane changing and merging
- Parking techniques
- Emergency situation and accident avoidance skills
- As well as other important subjects such as:
- Driver Behaviours and Responsibilities
- Dangerous, Distracted, and Impaired Driving
- The Laws of Physics
- Vehicle Components
Who is this program for?
This program was created for new drivers! This includes teenagers and adults who may have little or no driving experience. The new driver education program will give new drivers the fundamental skills to become new safe drivers!
If you have a driving license from another country, you may qualify for our Experienced Driver Education Program.
How long does this process take?
Students typically finish our new driver education program over a period of 9 months (275 days). This timeframe aligns with the mandatory waiting period for a new driver before they are eligible for their class 5 driving exam.
Students who have already had their class 7 license (learners permit) for a while can complete the program in as little as 30 days depending on their eligible class 5 driving examination date.
Why take a New Driver Education Program?
Learning to drive with a qualified instructor is the best, and safest way for new drivers to learn. Students will benefit from faster learning, a 3-month reduction in the mandatory waiting period time to qualify for their class 5 exam, lower insurance premiums, and overall safer driving habits.
New Drivers who do not complete our new driver education program must hold their learners permit (Class 7) for 365 days (instead of 275 days) prior to conducting their class 5 driving exam, attend the Novice Driver Course (instead of our in-person or online classes), and complete both the class 7 (written) and class 5 (driving) exams at Access PEI.
How much does the Drivers Education program cost?
The Safe Drivers PEI Driver Education program is available in three packages:
PEI Drivers Education Program: $699+hst
PEI Drivers Education Program Plus: $899+hst
PEI Drivers Education Program Premium: $1099+hst
A $300 payment is due when registering for a class session; the remaining balance is due as students complete driving time.
Safe Drivers PEI provides professional classroom instruction at various locations across Prince Edward Island. We use a combination of interactive lecture and group discussions to keep our class experience the best in the business! We also offer a comprehensive online learning option which can be completed on your own schedule!
Safe Drivers PEI instructors are trained above the industry standard to ensure we provide the best service to our students! Our instructors complete many hours of theory, and in-car training before they are certified as driving instructors and driving examiners with Safe Drivers PEI and the PEI Department of Highway Safety.