Defensive Driving Course
The Defensive Driving Course (DDC) is an established, proven program designed to produce better drivers! This course is offered regularly in Charlottetown and Summerside for drivers who want to drive defensively and improve safety. Through the program, students will analyze collisions and discuss topics such as time intervals, eye-lead time, safe passing techniques, and more!
When drivers are involved in a collision, insurance rates can skyrocket! Collisions can also lead to significant indirect costs such as employee/driver re-training, and time-off for related injuries. However, traffic collisions are preventable… by driving defensively!
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand defensive driving terminology;
- Understand the value of pre-trip inspections;
- Spot potential hazards when driving;
- Understand the relationship between driving and climate change;
- Drive defensively by applying appropriate knowledge and skills;
- Recognize the effect legislative changes have on road users; and
- Identify issues that require self-discipline to overcome.
The Defensive Driving Course includes:
- 6 Hours of In-Class Instruction
- Canada Safety Council Student Handbook
- Certificate of Completion.
Throughout the program students will learn:
- Eight modules taught in six hours;
- through case studies and written exercises;
- through interactive class discussion; and
- specific techniques to help drivers avoid all types of traffic collisions despite the actions of others or the driving conditions.
- the principles of defensive driving and essential collision avoidance techniques
Who is this program for?
The Defensive Driving Course is for experienced drivers only! Experienced drivers may choose to complete this program to receive a reduction of 3 demerit points on their PEI license, or to further develop their accident avoidance skills!
Employers may also choose to offer this program to employee groups to help reduce risk, and build safer corporate drivers. Custom training options are available
New drivers should check out our New driver education program.
If you have a driving license from another country, and would like to exchange it for a PEI license, you may qualify for our Experienced Driver Education Program.
Why take the Defensive Driving Course?
This course is a good option for any driver seeking to reduce the number of demerit points accumulated on their driving record to avoid possible suspension.
With the successful completion of the course and exam, a driver with up to 11 demerit points may be awarded three merit points.
How much does the Defensive Driving Course cost?
The Defensive Driving Course fee is $100+hst payable upon registration.
What are the dates for the course?
The Defensive Driving Course is scheduled as we receive sufficient registrations for a session. Generally, this results in one course every couple of months. Students who have registered will be contacted as we schedule course dates.
Where is the course offered?
At this time, we only offer the Defensive Driving Course in Charlottetown. However, we can accommodate and schedule groups or corporate training anywhere in PEI. A minimum class size of 10 is required.
Safe Drivers PEI provides professional classroom instruction at various locations across Prince Edward Island. We use a combination of interactive lecture and group discussions to keep our class experience the best in the business! We also offer a comprehensive online learning option which can be completed on your own schedule!
Safe Drivers PEI instructors are trained above the industry standard to ensure we provide the best service to our students! Our instructors complete many hours of theory, and in-car training before they are certified as driving instructors and driving examiners with Safe Drivers PEI and the PEI Department of Highway Safety.